During an appearance on “CBS Evening News” on Thursday, former Attorney General Bill Barr claimed that, in his opinion, former President Donald Trump “had no business” storing sensitive information at his Florida property.
As Barr has previously stated, “I’ve said all along that of the cases out there right now, the one I would be most concerned about if I were the former president is the Mar-a-Lago document case.”
Catherine Herridge, who is a senior reporter for the investigative news outlet, said, “Why so?”
“It doesn’t go a lot on intent or anything like that,” Barr added. Obviously, he shouldn’t have had access to that paperwork. He was given plenty of time to return them. They were also served subpoenas. And if any games are being played, he’ll be in a very vulnerable position.”
Herridge posed the question, “Given the developments in the grand jury, do you believe special counsel Jake Smith is close to a charging decision?”
‘I would imagine they’d want to accomplish it before the end of the year,’ Barr speculated. The earliest I would expect it to occur is later this summer or in the fall.
“Why that timing?” Herridge enquired.
Barr stated, “Well, if they are close to a decision, I think the process of reviewing that, socializing it with the attorney general and so forth, and buttoning it up will probably take that long.”