Iran is allegedly plotting to assassinate Lana Marks, U.S. Ambassador to South Africa, in retaliation for the assassination of Iranian terrorist Qassem Soleimani. Intelligence had been aware of a possible plot since the spring. But recently the intelligence has gotten more specific and as such, more pressing. The Iranian embassy in Pretoria is involved in the plot.
Marks, who has been a friend of Donald Trump's for twenty years has been ambassador for just about one year. Marks is a famous handbag designer, whose bags sell for tens of thousands of dollars. It is believed that she has been targeted due to her friendship with Trump. Marks has ties to people in the international community.
Iran is known for committing assassinations all over the world. At one time they had planned an assassination of as foreign official. Had the terror plot not been stopped it is estimated that 100 innocent people would have been killed in the attack.
The United States discovered that Soleimani was planning attacks against the United States in Iraq along with two he had already accomplished. That is when President Trump ordered his assassination. Our heroes in the military carried out the plan and it's execution was perfect.
The U.S. government released the following information on Soleimani following the strike:
Since 1998, Qassem Soleimani commanded Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Qods Force (IRGC-QF), the terror arm of the Iranian regime. The IRGC-QF is tasked with planning and executing terror and military operations outside Iran’s borders. Under Soleimani’s command, the IRGC-QF has fueled destabilizing sectarian conflicts throughout the Middle East for decades.
- The IRGC-QF continues to wage an illegal campaign of terrorism, assassinations, and violence. At Soleimani’s direction and with his oversight and guidance, the IRGC-QF has planned and conducted terrorist attacks across six continents and inside the United States.
- As the leader of the IRGC-QF, Qassem Soleimani was directly responsible for arming, funding, and training proxy groups in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Bahrain, Yemen, Afghanistan, and elsewhere. Operations carried out by these proxy groups have led to the death and suffering of tens of thousands, including many hundreds of Americans. These proxies routinely target and kill civilians, intensify sectarian conflicts, and prolong the suffering of innocent men, women, and children.
Some key international and United States designations of Soleimani include:
- Designated a Tier I terrorist as part of the Department of State designation of the IRGC as a Foreign Terrorist Organization in 2019.
- Designated under U.S. Executive Order 13224 as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist in 2011.
- Designated under U.S. EO 13572 for human rights abuses in 2011.
- Designated under U.S. EO 13882 for providing material support to terrorists in 2007.
- Sanctioned by the United Nations under UNSCR 1747 for involvement in Iran’s nuclear program in 2007.
- Designated by the European Union in EU 442/2011 for support to the Syrian regime in 2011.